Data Privacy Counsel
Based in China/Hong Kong/Singapore, leading the legal aspects of a start up American electronic commerce and cloud computing company to ensure compliance with PRC and other jurisdictions' personal privacy laws and standards and related data security requirements.
* Provide legal input on the improvement of privacy and data security policies and related internal corporate guidelines and systems
* Advise business teams and commercial legal teams, including the chief customer officer, on privacy compliance in the PRC and other jurisdictions
* Support the data platform management committee on legal aspects of data security, including data protection rules and policy, risk assessment (from legal perspective) and oversight and coordination of the data sharing agreement.
* Ensure consistency and transparency of user policies relating to privacy and data use
* Work with the security and IT teams to ensure the appropriate framework for rules and systems to enforce privacy and data security policies are in place and functioning in an optimal manner
* Develop and maintain relationships with key administrative, legislative and judicial officials and academic experts in the area of privacy and data security and promote interests in related legislative developments
* With public relations and corporate affairs teams, help promote internal and external messaging on privacy and data security
* Develop relationships with peer company privacy and data security counsel, including by attending relevant conferences and industry activities
* Support dispute resolution team on matters relating to privacy and data security
* Lead internal education for legal and non-legal teams on privacy policies and the legal aspects of data security
* At least 8 yrs general post-qualification experience, including at least 4 years privacy and data security-related experience in a leading PRC or international company (experience in financial services companies or consumer-focused internet companies is ideal)
* Familiarity with BCR framework and related rules and practices and Privacy by Design and Privacy Engineering principles and practices a big advantage
* PRC legal qualification and/or common law jurisdiction qualification
* Significant exposure to intellectual property law concepts
* Significant exposure to IT/technology/e-commerce industry
* Commercially minded
* Team player and ability to work independently and proactively
* Excellent interpersonal skills and experience working with colleagues across non-legal disciplines
* Fluent Mandarin and English
McGregor Boyall is an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate based on race, religion, gender, age, sexuality, gender identification, or physical ability.